What I'm Missing at ACL

Instead of the usual Friday Link Love post, I thought I'd share some Austin City Limits love since it's that time of year and the festival starts today!

Kyle and I had quite a time last year. We think Lissie and Sonic Youth were probably two of our favorite shows. We also caught onto Angus and Julia Stone--a brother/sister duo that I'm absolutely in love with now. Here are just a few snaps from last year:

Austin City Limits

Austin City Limits

Austin City Limits

Austin City Limits

ACL is always fun, but Kyle and I won't be attending this year. I know, I know. It's the 10-year anniversary and all, but I just can't and here's why in three words: heat, crowds, and wedding. I'm a big baby and can't take the heat, crowds freak me out a bit, and wedding stuff has taken over my living room/office/desk/closet.

So while all the festival goers are hanging out in the heat and trying to make their way around all the chair farms, I'll be hanging out in my cool apartment listening to some of my favorite ACL 2011 artists. Here are my picks:

Arcade Fire

I'm a bit sad that I won't be at this show. I've only seen Arcade Fire perform live once, back in 2005 during ACL. I was already a big fan, but the live performance was just astounding. It makes complete sense that they're closing out ACL this year. Funeral continues to be my favorite album, and then there's my favorite song:



Santigold

I first heard Santigold through Pandora. Her music was fun and busy with all sorts of ska and electronic happenings, and I liked it. I would absolutely check out her ACL performance. And who could say "no" to this is awesome album cover?




Iron and Wine

I hate passing up a chance to see Sam Beam in all of his Iron and Wine glory. He sings and I smile. He sings and I cry. I'm such a sapster. Right now I'm loving his cover of New Order's Love Vigilantes:



Gillian Welch

I don't know a lot of Gillian Welch's music, but I've definitely liked what I've heard from her new record so far. Look at Miss Ohio is still one of my favorite songs:




Are you going to ACL? Which acts are you most excited to see?

No comments:

Post a Comment