"Hi, My Last Name Is"

Question for the married ladies out there. Did you take your husband's/partner's last name? This is something I've sort of been struggling with for the past few months. And honestly, it never started to worry me until several people asked if I was going to take Kyle's last name.


[Insert big question mark.]

Sure, after Kyle and I got engaged I started imaging my name as "Jennifer Robarge."

"Jennifer Robarge, here. Yep, that's my name."

But it's not. It's just not my name! My last name is "King," and I just don't know if I'm ready to let that go.

When I tell people I'm thinking of keeping my last name, I get all kinds of responses:

- You can still keep "King" as your middle name!
- But you have to honor your husband!
- That's too confusing!
- But what about your children?
- Just change your name legally and keep "King" professionally.
- It's just a name.

Ay yi yi. I get it, and I agree with ALL of these responses on different levels. While I think having the same last name as my husband would bond and unite us in the traditional sense, I still can't get past the fact that my name is my name. We're soon to be bound by our love and commitment to each other, and I don't think our last names have anything to do with that.

I asked Kyle if he had any concerns about the whole thing, and he absolutely thinks I should do what I want.

What are your thoughts? Am I worrying too much about this?

No comments:

Post a Comment